FaceBook  Twitter

Joe Boris Keeps His Enthusiasm for State High Alive By Staying Involved After Retirement

Many Little Lions will remember Joe Boris as a role model: someone they could look up to in the classroom or on the basketball court. From Joe’s perspective, his career as an educator—and as Commissioner of the Intramural Basketball Association—is simply part of who he is.

“Teaching was never a job for me. It is and always will be my life,” Joe said.

“Teaching was never a job for me. It is and always will be my life,” Joe said.

Joe was nominated for the Maroon & Gray Society by Robin Smith Chiavetta ’83, a former student.  Joe said being selected for the honor was unexpected, but meaningful.

“I was surprised,” he said, “but the recognition means so much to me.”

Joe’s long career includes many highlights. To name a few, he created the Introduction to Sociology class and revived the Intramural Basketball Association, for which he still serves as Commissioner.

For Joe, the most notable aspect of his career, and what he calls one his “greatest honors” was serving as spirit leader. “I loved getting out in the middle of the gym or the quad to get everyone excited by yelling: we are all LIONS!” he said. “These school spirit activities are an integral part of bonding for our students, giving everyone a reason to take pride in their school.”

Now retired, Joe is honored to provide a connection between today’s students and the State High’s traditions through his continued involvement with intramural basketball and substitute teaching whenever possible.

In addition to his State High pride, Joe loves the State College community and said he can’t imagine being anywhere else.

“I am so lucky to have been able to make a life here in State College,” he said. “I hope all of the students I had the pleasure of teaching enjoyed my classes and I want them to know I always tried my best for them.”

“I am so lucky to have been able to make a life here in State College. I hope all of the students I had the pleasure of teaching enjoyed my classes and I want them to know I always tried my best for them.”